Celebrating Our Favorite Meal! Happy National Hot Breakfast Month
Breakfast. The most important meal of the day. Typically, our day-to-day breakfast consists of a bowl of cereal, cup of yogurt or sadly, just a crumbly granola bar. Well put those cold breakfasts aside, February is National Hot Breakfast Month!
A quick timeline of the history of breakfast includes:
- Some historians claim that the first breakfasts were a type of porridge eaten during the Stone Age.
- During the 17th and 18th centuries, most social classes started eating breakfast each morning. Wealthier families even had special breakfast rooms!
- At the start of the Industrial Revolution in the 19th Century, workers started eating an early morning meal to get them through the long day.
- On August 9, 1894, a breakfast revolution was born: the corn flake. John Harvey Kellogg and his little brother, Will, created the breakfast staple in America. The Kellogg brand currently produces about 40 different types of cereals, in approximately 160 countries.
Breakfast has been around for a long time (around 2.5 million years!) and Hot Breakfast Month was established to encourage people to get up and start their day with a meal that’s a bit more substantial than a simple bowl of cereal.
Cooking breakfast to celebrate National Hot Breakfast is a no brainer. You even have the whole month of February. What better way to celebrate Hot Breakfast Month then by enjoying a delicious hot breakfast with your family. Think about having everyone’s favorite hot breakfast food and create a feast the whole family will enjoy. A couple of other activities to celebrate National Hot Breakfast Month can be:
- Try Something New— Is your family’s go-to breakfast scrambled eggs and bacon? Think about making pancakes and sausage or even a quiche! It’s always fun to try new things.
- Breakfast Party — Who doesn’t love a party that celebrates food? Plan a party where the dress code is pajama’s only and bedhead is required.
- Switch it Up — Breakfast for dinner anyone? Think about enjoying breakfast for dinner while watching a great movie with the whole family.
National Hot Breakfast Month comes at a perfect time. It’s still winter time and you have the perfect excuse to eat a hot breakfast. Breakfast is also the most important meal of the day. After a night of rest, it’s important to start the day out with a full tummy and tons of energy. Lastly, there is so much variety for hot breakfast. For healthier options, a big bowl of oatmeal with fresh berries or even this yummy Egg-in-a-Hole with Spinach & Bacon make for a healthy start to your day. For a more traditional approach, you can never go wrong with fresh waffles, French toast or pancakes. Whichever breakfast meal you decide to enjoy, the most important thing to remember is to enjoy it with family and friends!
Happy National Hot Breakfast Month!